Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Half Marathon Bucharest 2021

 


I  registered one week before the event. I was sure that all running events are not going to happen because of the times we live but a spot came in front of my eyes while navigating for news on internet. I was happy to see it and I registered for 10K race due to lack of any training or organized run since 2019. 

Everything fine, till I went Saturday to pick-up my kit from the Sport Expo that is the base camp of the event. After showing the vaccine certificate to pass through the entrance, when I asked for the number I was congratulated by the girl who was giving the envelope. I was like "huh?". 



Then, I go to pick-up the T-shirt and the bonus stuff that usually are found in a marathon kit. There, the guy also congratulate me so I started to panic a lil'. "Was the 10 K already took place ?" I pick up my phone and went straight to event website. Well...yep, the 10K race just finished. Due to COVID thing there were no kid's race, no family race and instead they moved the 10K on Saturday and Sunday was reserved only for 21K to keep the numbers of people involved low. I couldn't believe I didn't payed attention to the schedule. I was sure would be like last years in "normal" conditions when Saturday was Kid's Race and Family Race.

I had to take a deep breath and relax :). I went back to entrance gate to request a registration "on site" to Half Marathon. Was possible, fortunately and I had to pay a difference fee. Then, took the envelope with the new number, went back to kit pick-up area and I got a coffee to start to think at what I was just did. Well, a Half Marathon is not the end of the world but I was not prepared at all. Well, I will crawl somehow to the end :).

Well, was not so bad, after all. I kept the pace very low to be sure I will finish it and not to force anything in the untrained knees.


 

We were less than 2000 at start...strange feeling. So much space around... . I never saw something like this before. And was so quiet, even if the announcer was talking at a microphone. 


 

The whole city was actually almost empty and I want to thank the people from the "strategic" points that colored the sad atmosphere. Running is a joy not some punishment. Beside the fact that you have to fight with mental and physical fatigue now we had to fight also with the pandemic situation that we have to pass.


 

But at the end all these were gone, back to friends, back to stories. I made it and I didn't had to crawl one meter :)! But for sure I will pay attention more carefully now at the schedule of races...

2 comments:

Bine ai venit. Ia o gura de OXiGEN !